The NHK Taiga drama Gunshi Kanbee will begin on January 5 with V6 member Junichi Okada as the lead.
The main charater Kanbee Kuroda was a tactician under Hideyoshi Toyotomi. He is also a war general whom Hitoshi Matsumoto of Downtown has expressed admiration for on TV and radio.
Dramas which were set in the sengoku era, or the "warring states period", have historically done well. 1987's Dokuganryuu got an average rating of 39.7%, first all-time among Taiga dramas. Other dramas set in the sengoku era are 1988's Takeda Shingen (2nd all-time), 1965's Taikouki, 1983's Tokugawa Ieyasu and 1996's Hideyoshi -- all of which got over 30% for the yearly averages and is said to be the empirical way for Taiga dramas.
This was preceded by Yae no Sakura starring Haruka Ayase, which began broadcast in January 6, 2013. It got 21.4% for the first episode, but ratings gradually declined as the finale only got 16.6%. The average for the entire drama was 14.6%, 4th lowest of all time.
Taiga dramas of recent years have been struggling, the most notable is 2012's Taira no Kiyomori which featured Kenichi Matsuyama. This had the worst average of all-time for a Taiga drama with 12.0%. Looking at the Taiga dramas for the past years, 7 out of the 10 have had averages below 20%, excluding Yukie Nakama's Koumyou ga Tsuji (2006), Aoi Miyazaki's Atsuhime (2008), and Satoshi Tsumabuki's Tenchijin (2009). Even Masaharu Fukuyama's Ryōmaden only got 18.7%.
Top 10 NHK Taiga dramashttp://blog-imgs-46.fc2.com/g/e/i/geitsuboo/20140102-00000001-wordleaf-000-7-view.jpg
1. Dokuganryuu Masamune
2. Takeda Shingen
3. Kasuga no Tsubone
5. Onna Taikouki
6. Tokugawa Ieyasu
10. Hachidai Shogun Yoshimune
I lost interest since it felt that they were aiming too high by making Takenaka play Hideyoshi.
And I'm sure that Taiga fans are disgusted at how a Jani gets to play this tactician.
I hope they cast true actors like Uchino-san in Fuurinkazan.
- 戦国ものはいいとしてジャニが主役では巻き返しは無理だろ聡明で腹黒な官兵衛ってキャラとは真逆の人選だしDoing a Sengoku-era drama's a good move, but they won't be able to recover from their recent setbacks with a Johnny talent as the lead. He's the complete opposite of the cunning and evil Kanbee.
- もう真田太平記の再放送でいいよいい役者が死んでどうにもならんWhy don't they just show reruns of Sanada Taiheiki?
Good actors have died so we can't do anything about this anymore.
Women will always try to come forward so Gunbee's wife will probably have her time in the spotlight as well
I honestly have no clue why people are all praises for Haruka Ayase.
I bet that the ratings would be insane if they did a Masamune Date drama with homo scenes
Kanbee Kuroda is a good theme for a drama but a Johnny talent?... No thanks.
- 大河でなんで主役級に女性いるか不思議脇ならわかるがIt's always a mystery to me why there are a lot of women who play all these main roles in Taiga dramas.
I'd understand it if they were just in supporting roles but...
- 信長、秀吉、家康のど真ん中でいける環境なのに無駄にひねりすぎ王道ばかりのときにひねるのは大事だが、ひねりがメインになると迷走するThey're in an environment where they can do main stories like Nobunaga, Hideyoshi, or Ieyasu, but it feels like they're trying to make it too unorthodox. It's important to add some twists and the occasional odd stuff when you keep on heading down the empirical path, but you'll just run astray if that occasional odd stuff becomes the main theme.
- 女主人公いらないんじゃね 最近は男女平等で交互に男女主役だがそれが視聴率低下の一因だよI don't think we still need female leads. They've been alternating the male and female leads recently, but I think that's one of the reasons for the drop in ratings.
The Taigas from Atsuhime onwards were all too shi++y and I lost that habit of watching Taiga dramas during this time slot
There's no way that a watered down version of Hiroshi Tamaki a.k.a. V6 Okada will be able to get the ratings w
But NHK won't mind the bad ratings since they'll still have consistent income
- まだ半兵衛の方が良かったんじゃないかで、主役が5月頃に死ぬとHanbee would have probably been a better theme.
Then the lead will die around May.
- 批判多いが官兵衛のビジュアルの岡田ははまってる気がしたのだが岡田の演技は木更津以外見たことないからわからんがThere are a lot of criticisms, but I think Okada visually suits Kanbee well.
I haven't seen him act since Kisarazu though, so I can't really say anything.
They should begin by putting an end to having pacifist lead characters in these sengoku stories
- 日本の歴史は乱世だった時代が限られるからないっその事太平洋戦争テーマにしたら？There are limitations in Japanese history especially when it was in a state of anarchy.
Why don't they make a drama about the Pacific War?
Of course, people will grow tired of rehashes about the Bakumatsu era and the Sengoku era.
- ジャニタレか もう楽しみだったのに ああ みないわ
A Johnny's talent, huh... I was looking forward to this... Ahh... I won't watch it.
- 岡田准一て生粋の役者さんかと思ったらＶ６だったのな。元アイドルでも化けるのいるんだな。竹中・秀吉も懐かしい感じがして悪くない。I always thought Junichi Okada was a genuine actor, but he's from V6, huh?
So there are cases like him where a former idol would make a huge transformation, huh.
And Takenaka playing Hideyoshi feels so nostalgic, so this drama feels good to me.
- 腹黒イメージなのに義理堅く裏切らない、家族や家臣に対する愛情あふれた人間ドラマっていう路線もな～確かに結果として一度も裏切っちゃいないが、長政との仲もそれほど良かったわけではないだろうに。Kanbee has an evil image, but they're going for a human drama where he's loyal and doesn't betray, and is filled with love towards his family and his vassal, huh...
Well, he never did betray them but he wasn't exactly on good terms with Nagamasa.
Isn't it just another sweet sengoku drama? w
- 大河『ドラマ』が観たい。I want to watch a proper Taiga "drama"
Shop for Junichi Okada-related items on CDJapan
Shop for Junichi Okada-related items on YESASIA