椎名林檎はなんであんなに売れたの？Why was Ringo Sheena that popular?
- 歌舞伎町の女王という曲で存在を知ったがピンとこなかったネットもなかったのに 不思議なこともあるもんだな才能ある人はちゃんと売れるんだなI got to know of her existence with the song "Kabukicho no Jyoou", but it didn't strike a chord in me.
To think that the Internet wasn't as widespread at that time,
so that proves that people who have talent will actually sell well, huh? That was pretty miraculous.
- やさぐれ感がよかったんじゃないの背伸びしたいお年頃の女子供に受けたMaybe her outlaw image bode well with the people, especially with the young girls who wanted to break away from the ordinary and try something new
- 整形したからBecause she had plastic surgery
- ちょっと尖ってる自分を演出したい奴らにウケたからBecause she was a hit with the people who wanted to show off their slightly unconventional selves
- 本能でナースコスしてガラス割ってたからBecause she wore a nurse costume and broke glass in "Honnou"
- 中島みゆき枠だよなShe's in the Miyuki Nakajima position
- 歌はそんなに上手くないよねBut her singing isn't exactly that good
- 巻き舌が勝因She's a winner because of the trill in her voice
- あーいうタイプのソロアーティストもどきっていなかったしなBecause there was no other solo artist like her
- 俺は当時バンドやってたんだけどあの時代のバンドシーンに椎名林檎が与えた影響ってマジで計り知れないぞ誰もが椎名林檎っていうとんでもない女がいるって話で持ちきりだったI was in a band at that time and you can't imagine how much influence she had on the band scene in that era.
Everyone kept talking about this amazing woman called Ringo Sheena.
- 軽メンヘル御用達そっから本格的に病んだファンはアンチ化したオリコンにチャートインするポップシンガーをカルトヒーローと勘違いする絶望的な頭の悪さShe was for the people who were slightly queer.
And the fans who seriously got crazy turned on her and became haters.
They were hopelessly dumb for treating this pop singer as a cult hero for breaking into the Oricon charts.
- ヤイコは完全にデビュー時期を間違えたYaiko totally got the timing of her debut wrong
* (Hitomi Yaida)
- まあ売れるよねかっこいいからWell, she was cool.
And that's why she became popular.
- 歌舞伎町の女王とか言ってたのって本当にごく初期だけじゃねあれも浜崎あたりが渋谷のカリスマとか言われてたのに合わせて住み分けをしたというだけの印象It was really only in the beginning where she was called the Queen of Kabukicho. I had the impression that she just wanted to differentiate herself from Hamasaki who was called "the Charisma of Shibuya", and the like.
- ベタな言い方になるけどやっぱりカリスマ性だねそれは自己演出の上手さも含めThis may be a stereotypical answer, but it was her charisma, combined with how good she portrayed herself.
- 林檎が「27歳で死なないといけないんじゃないかとプレッシャーを感じた」ほどの熱狂的なヲタがいたからじゃねBecause she had crazy and passionate wotas who even said that "Ringo must feel some sort of pressure that she has to die by the time she's 27"
- 女のファンでキチガイみたいなのついてたなぁメンヘラっぽいやつ多かったわShe really had some crazy female fans back then. There were a lot who seemed deranged.
- なんだかんだで宇多田と林檎を超えるカリスマが出てこないのは凄いこの二人がもっとコラボして欲しかったBut it's still amazing that there hasn't been anyone yet who has surpassed the charisma of Utada and Ringo.
I wanted these 2 to collaborate more.
- カリスマ性を築く上でやっちゃいけないことはほぼやらなかったからねそこら辺のセンスというか上手さがあったんだよ今の奴らはすぐ庶民のいるところまで降りてきてしまうからダメなんだShe didn't break the rules that much as she was building up her charisma. She had the sense, or rather, the ability to do that.
The artists these days are no good since they lower themselves to the level of the general public.
- 曲がいい歌詞がいい歌が上手い声に力があるエ口いPVが面白いこれで売れないほうがおかしいだろGood songs.
Interesting music videos.
It would have been strange if she didn't sell well with this.
- CD屋いったらここでキスしてのPV流れてて誰だこの美人はと思ったけどMステ見て誰だこの不細工とガッカリした思い出I remember wondering "Who's this pretty girl!?" when I saw the video for "Kokode Kiss shite" in a CD shop. And I remember getting disappointed as I said, "Who's this ugly girl!?", when I saw her on Music Station.
- センスが良いからBecause she's got good sense
- あと椎名林檎はあの時代から映像系も使ったプロモーションもしてたんだよPVを売るのがメジャーじゃなかった時代にビデオでPV集だしてそれも単なるPVの寄せ集めじゃなく自主映画みたいな部分も見せたりしてほんとサブカル層が食いつかずにはいられない部分を見事に突いてきてたAnd Ringo Sheena already used video as a medium to promote herself at that time. She came out with a PV compilation when selling through videos wasn't major yet.
- 音楽のジャンルは置いといて今でいうとももクロとかがやろうとしてる奇抜なことを滑らずに出来たんだよ刀で車斬ったりなｗRegardless of the difference in music genre, it felt like she was successfully able to pull off the eccentric and unconventional stuff back then just like what MomoClo are trying to achieve now.
Like cutting a car with a katana blade.
- 東京事変で良い曲だなと思ったのはたいがい非林檎曲だからあまり作曲の才能はないと思うI actually thought that Tokyo Jihen's better songs were the ones that weren't by Ringo, so I actually don't think that she's got the talent to compose songs
- ある程度のビジュアルがないと斬新さより滑稽さが目立つからなBecause she would have just looked absurd if she didn't have the visuals to back up what she was doing and make her look original
- 友達や先輩の洋楽ロックしか聴かないような人も引き付けられてたからなShe was able to attract my friends and senpais, and all those people who only listened to Western rock music.
- 椎名林檎パクッた矢井田瞳ってのもいたなThere was also singer called Hitomi Yaida who copied Ringo Sheena, and...
- 矢井田瞳がかわいそうだろパクリってわけでもなくね？Poor Hitomi Yaida.
It's not as if she copied Ringo, right?
- ワイドショーであの割ったガラスがおいくらまんえんなんですよ～ええ～そんなにお高いの～？とかやってたなI remembered when she was on a variety show and said that "that glass actually cost a few~ thousand yen".
"Ehh~~~ it was that expensive!?"
- インパクトのあるMVを作るのって大事なんだなでも狙いすぎるとだいたいすべっちゃうんだけどIt's really important to create a music video that has impact.
But if you try too hard to make it look good, it would actually work the other way around for you.
- 女王様みたいな人がキンキン声で昭和歌謡なメロをノイジーなギターサウンドに乗せる感じが目新しかったんだと思うI think this queen-like character who sang showa-era like folk songs with a screechy voice and noisy guitar sounds was pretty fresh
- ともかく自分が商品であることに自覚的だった自意識なんて無いですみたいなShe was well aware that she was "merchandise".
Like a doll who didn't seem like it had any self consciousness.
- 「椎名林檎が好きな私」ってキャラ売りが出来た程度には「カリスマ性」があったShe had the charisma to make people be proud and say "this is me who loves Ringo Sheena."
- たぶん普通の人なんだけどとんでもなくロックでビ●チな生活を送ってるんじゃないかと妄想させるに十分な魅力を持ってたShe's probably a normal person, but she had the appeal to make people imagine that she lived a rock & roll and bi+chy lifestyle
- 幸福論、歌舞伎町の女王まではまだその辺に居るちょっとセンスいい掃いて捨てるほどいる女性シンガーの1人って印象しかなかったでもここでキスして。の曲の良さと声の良さ、そしてなによりおっぱいで一躍飛び出して、ナースガラス割りの本能で超ヒット曲とPV、自己プロデュースの上手さで売れた天才１ｓｔアルバム出すまでの加速度は本当にすごかったShe just felt like one of the countless female singers with some sense up until her songs "Koufukuron" and "Kabukicho no Jyoou".
But with "Kokode Kiss shite", she suddenly made a surge with her good song, voice, and her boobies. Then "Honnou" where she broke the glass while wearing a nurse costume became a mega hit.
She was a genius who became popular through her songs, PVs, and her ability to produce herself.
Her acceleration towards the bigtime was was stunning, up until she came out with her first album.
- 当時を振り返ると話題作りと物珍しさで売れてたんだって感じするLooking back at that time, I feel like she became popular because she was gimmicky and she felt like a novelty
- やっぱバンドじゃなくてソロで出てきたのは大きい実際にはメジャーレーベルが周到に作りこんでてそこらのバンドよりよっぽど手が入ってるんだけど当時はそういう風に受け取られなかったIt was huge for her that she came out as a solo artist instead of being in a band. The major label must have created her image carefully, and it must have cost a whole lot more effort than your average band, but that was not the impression that we got back then.
- 去年だかブックオフで１stの曲が流れて中学生がめっちゃ興奮してた１０年以上経ってもあんなファンを生み出すのは凄いと思いました（小並感）I remember hearing a song from her 1st album at Book Off last year, and the middle schooler there got all excited. I feel that she 's amazing for creating such fans up to now that over 10 years have already passed.
- 同性ウケと異性ウケを両立したことじゃなきゃミリオン売れないし～She was a hit to both men and women.
If she wasn't, then she wouldn't have had a million-seller.
- 渋谷系には乗りたくない女の子をガッチリつかんだのと男からも支持されるだけの音作りができたのは大きいうまいことマーケティングからブランディングまでやったなという感じShe was able to grab all the girls who didn't want to ride the Shibuya-kei wave, as well as make the men appreciate the sound that she created.
Everything was done well--- from marketing to branding.