When the games were still in the 16-bit - 32-bit era, Japanese games such as Final Fantasy, Legend of Zelda and Pocket Monster dominated the gaming industry, winning the hearts of almost every international gaming fan. Japanese culture and technology was widely received well and was far from being considered a "solitary island".
One reason why Japan's video game industry has been called a "solitary island" now is the different paths Japan's market and the international market have taken, making both seemingly incompatible now. International bestsellers have not become hits in Japan, while international users are having a hard time understanding Japanese games, such as DMM's Kantai Collection ~KanColle~.
Japanese games may be prioritizing the quality of the visuals along with usability, but this in the process might have helped the country get immersed in its otaku culture further.
Then only those who understand it should play it
Because the best way to make an industry decline is to over-saturate it with the same thing
It's all the Moe~ pigs' fault
- 艦これなんて所詮萌えクソゲーと何等変わりない日本人の中でも萌えゲー全く興味なくて洋ゲーばかりやる人いるし人それぞれっしょKanColle is no different from crappy Moe~ games.
There are still some Japanese who have no interest in Moe~ games, and keep on playing Western games.
To each his own.
It's the international scene that hasn't coped up with the times
But KanColle has international users as well
- そもそも「艦これ」は海外のユーザなんぞ視野に入れてないだろｗ国内市場に向けたものを「海外のニーズをくみ取ってない」とか言っても意味がないだろうに。But KanColle never even had international users in its sights in the first place.
There's no point in nitpicking on a game by saying "It doesn't have what the international gamers are looking for", when it's only aimed at the local market in the first place.
- 仮にポケモンやドラクエモンスターズが携帯に出回ったら一瞬だろうなそれが出来ないから艦コレなんだよI think that it would be a different story if games like Pokemon and Dragon Quest Monsters were to make their way into the mobile phone market. But that's not possible, so that's why there's KanColle.
Do foreigners even play social games?
- まあこのまま業界自体がソシャゲに傾いたままだと、気付いた頃には手遅れなんだろうけどBut everything will already be too late at this rate if the entire industry is this inclined towards social games just like it is now
I think it's better than games where you kill real people (or zombies)
- 艦これは日本アニメ好きにはウケるだろ誰もが誰も戦場の殺し合いがやりたいわけではないI think KanColle will be a hit to people who like Japanese anime.
Not everyone would want to participate in killfests on battlefields, you know.
- ある意味、前衛的なんだよｗいずれ、また、リアル路線に戻ることがあるかも知れないが、その時は、また、日本が変態視されていることだろうよｗIt's quite avante-garde in a sense w
There might come a time when the industry comes back to making more realistic games, but when that time comes, people might once again see Japan in a 'hentai' sort of light.
- 艦船美少女化は台湾がオリジナルだからな戦後台湾海軍旗艦丹陽にまでなった殊勝艦雪風がモデルのThe bishojo-battleship concept actually originated from Taiwan.
- 萌え豚が悪いって言いたいんだけどね萌えのゲームばっかり売り上げいいからね困ったもんだああ、ニンテンドーは論外ねThey just want to say that it's all the fault of the moe~ pigs.
It's because the moe~ type games are the ones that are selling a lot.
It's so troublesome, really.
Ah, Nintendo's out of the question.
- 俺みたいなおっさんにはかんこれも合わないKanColle doesn't suit an old guy like me
- あれだけ細密でリアル背景の３ｄゲームを造りながらやることは銃撃つだけっていい加減飽きないのかよ・・・And despite making 3D games with such realistic backgrounds in fine detail--
All you do is shoot guns.
Aren't people getting sick of that already...
Does it mean that only otakus buy games in Japan nowadays?
- 日本は未来に生きてんだよ他の国の連中は銃撃ちまくりの戦争ごっこでもやってろJapan is living in the future.
Other countries should just keep on firing their guns and act like we're still in the war era.
But to me, all Western games look the same
- 萌え豚マンガ萌え豚アニメ萌え豚ゲーム一般化されるとシンドイなMoe~ pig manga
Moe~ pig anime
Moe~ pig games
It'll be tough once this becomes the norm for the public.
But KanColle's just a trashy game if you remove the moe~ visuals
It might actually be more decent than games where all you do is shoot and kill other people w
- AKBが成功する国だしなただ世界で人気のゲームは日本でも売れてるけどなThis is a country where AKB is popular.
But the games that become popular overseas are also selling well in Japan.
- 日本では大人の趣味ってのは「マスコミ業界によって定義」されるものであって、庶民が自ら決められるものじゃないんだよね、だからマスコミ業界の「押し」がないゲームは廃れたこの呪縛から逃れているのが、秋葉原系の連中しかいないんですよIn Japan, the adult's hobbies are generally "defined by the media industry" and can't be decided by the public. And that's why games that aren't "pushed" by the mass media have become obsolete.
And the only people who have seemingly broken free from this spell are the Akihabara-kei people.
- なんでこうなったんだろうなあPS2のときは萌えは1ジャンルにすぎなくてまともなキャラデザのものも多かったのに萌え絵だから面白くないとは言わないけど、ひいてしまったり躊躇する人間も多いのにI really wonder why things turned out like this.
During the time of the PS2, Moe~ was just 1 genre and there were a lot of other games that had decent character designs.
I won't go to the extent of saying that the game won't be good just because it has the moe~ type of artwork, but I'm sure that there are a lot of people who hesitate and get turned off just because of that.
Because drawings come first in Japan over technology
Shop for Video Games on AMAZON