Is it just that they're lazy? Or are those the results of their serious efforts?
I have no intention of denying the existence of Japanese movies whatsoever, but no matter how hard they try to imitate Hollywood, they still have to make do with directors of a different quality, and everything just ends in failure. I'm actually feeling sorry for the industry.
- 伝統なんだよ今に始まったことじゃなくて昔もとんでもないのいっぱいあったそれを笑ってすませる余裕がなくなったんだなIt's a tradition.
This isn't just happening now, there were already a lot of horrible movies back in the day.
People just can't afford to laugh it off like they used to anymore.
It's cheap since you only had to pay a million yen for the rights to even something like THERMAE ROMAE.
Because writers have been wiped out
- 必ず年に二～三本はキッツイのあるよな（今年はガッチャマン）ノルマでもあるんかThere are always about 2 or 3 really bad ones a year (This year, it's Gatchaman).
Do they have some sort of quota to fulfill?
Because it's easier to get sponsors
- 原作つきじゃないとお金が集まらない今だとアニメや漫画くらいしか食いついてこないからThey won't be able to gather money if there's no original to base it on.
People only latch onto anime and manga these days.
But there are a lot of movies that will make even amateurs realize that they lacked budget-- like Yamato and Majo no Takkyubin
It's also the fault of the authors (publishers?) of the original story since they're not rejecting these proposals
- テルマエロマエの原作者が原作料が安すぎると文句言ったらわがままいうなと２ちゃんねらは叩いてただろｗRemember when Thermae Romae's author complained about how cheap the original fee was and how 2channel bashed him, saying that he shouldn't complain? w
Danshi Koukousei no Nichijo trailer
Boku wa tomodachi ga sukunai special trailer
Both have riders as the lead
Even most of the dramas are based on some other original story
The authors probably don't know much about rights and financial stuff so they're probably fooled easily
The ones with a low budget weren't good, and even the ones that spent a lot have been failing. It's really unsightly. Hentai Kamen was the only one that was slightly good.
- 今度ルパンやるけどまた叩かれるんだろうなあ過去にも念力珍作戦という黒歴史があるのに…They're going with Lupin next, but it'll definitely be bashed to bits.
To think that the franchise even had a dark history in the past with Nenriki chinsakusen.
- アメリカは映像産業で映画が一番強いから映画会社に脚本が集まる日本の場合は漫画・アニメ・ラノベが地続きで強さを発揮してるから映画は2次元の実写化になるIn America's film industry, movie is still the strongest medium, so all the good screenplays go to these movie companies.
In Japan's case, manga, anime, and light novels are the ones that are strong, which means movies are mostly live action adaptations of these.
- 原作者が映画の話来たら喜ぶのはベストの形の映画になった様を想像するからでヒドいものになることを予想できたら誰も許可せんでしょうAny author would probably rejoice once someone proposes to make his work into a movie.
Then they imagine their works being adapted in the best possible manner, else, no author would approve of a project if they can predict that the outcome will be horrible.
- でも去年だか一番ヒットした邦画は海猿でこれも漫画の映画化じゃんThe biggest hit last year in the movies was Umizaru, and this is also based on a manga
- アニメ界に日本の才能が集結しているかのように言うピリッとしたレスがあるスレだなThis is a thread that has some pretty harsh responses which are implying that Japan's talents are only gathered in the anime world
- 三丁目の夕日とかも漫画だな結局大ヒット映画に漫画原作ものが多いからあれもこれも映画化しようって思うんだろ制作者がEven Sanchoume no Yuuhi was based on a manga.
It's just that a lot of movies that went on to become huge hits are based on a manga, so it's natural that all these producers would think about making live action versions of everything.
- 海猿は現実的な話だし映画にしやすいんだろうけど問題にしてるのはガッチャマンとかヤマトとかああいうののことだろUmizaru's story is realistic so it's easy to make into a movie.
The ones we're considering problems are Gatchaman and Yamato, the like.
20th Century Boys is the movie that proved how something done exactly according to the original won't always turn out good.
I just remembered it with 20th Century Boys, but I also like YAWARA's live action movie
I think making live action adaptations of cellphone novels and amateur works is much more horrible than making anime into live action.
Like Koizora and Densha Otoko?
- だいたい実写映画化で成功したのってあるの？加山雄三の「ブラックジャック」以外に。(笑)Are there live action movies which you can really call a success?
Other than Yuzo Kayama's Black Jack. (laughs)
- マンガマンガしてる原作を実写化するから駄目なんじゃないの島耕作みたいな実写にしても絵的に違和感無いものを実写化すればいいのにThe bad thing is they're making live action adaptations of manga that seem too "manga".
They should just focus on the ones like Shima Kousaku which wouldn't stray away too much from the original.
- でも最近は随分と良くなってきた昔はマンガが原作だと思って舐めた映画作ってたからなで原作の漫画よりよっぽど幼稚でマンガな映画が出来上がるとBut they've improved a lot in recent times.
They used to make movies foolishly just because it came from a manga.
And the result is a movie that would seem even more childish than the original manga itself.
It's just that the talented people haven't been going to the movie industry, and are instead going to other fields. Plain and simple.
Because people are still clamoring that they'd want to see live action versions so there's no end to it
- 黒子はその内やっちゃいそうだなテニプリやったしI feel they'll do Kuroko eventually.
They already did TeniPuri, so...
- 元々メジャーな漫画や小説が原作の作品は宣伝効果が全然違うんだよオリジナルだとキャストや監督のブランドで勝負しなくちゃならなくなるBecause the amount of promotion you'll be getting with a manga and anime that are already major hits to begin with is totally out of the norm. If you're going for an original script, you'll have to factor in how big the name values, or "brands", the cast and director possess.
- Are American comic books and their movies really good?
- アメコミ原作ってヒーローもんばかりだろ仮面ライダーを金かけて作ってんだから面白いに決まってるThese movies from US comic books are all about heroes.
It's like pouring in a lot of money into Kamen Rider. Of course that would be good.
Japanese mangas are made into anime first so there's always this wall which live versions have to face.
- しかも最近じゃ制作費回収の担保のためにジャニとAKBが出まくりという悪循環And we're in this vicious spiral right now where they're employing all these AKB and Jani talents in order to guarantee them a return of their production costs
So One Piece's author doesn't approve of his work being turned into live action?
- 聖闘士星矢の実写版やりますとか言い出したら俺は震えるね是非見てみたいどれほど笑える仕上がりになるのかアテナは剛力ちゃんで頼むI'm gonna tremble if ever they start saying that they'll do a live action version of Saint Seiya.
I want to see how laughable the result will be.
And please use Gouriki-chan as Athena.
- SMAPやってたな森がまだいたときだSMAP did.
That was when Mori was still with the group.
- 日本のマンガは厳しい競争を勝ち抜いて人気作品になるものばかりだからなその辺の脚本家が書き下ろすよりよっぽど素材として信頼出来るJapanese mangas all overcome fierce competition and turn into hits.
It's just natural that these are more dependable than what your average screenwriter would create.
- 今度の月9も漫画原作だが主演が松本潤でしょ何かもうジャニやAKBや武井剛力から日本は逃れられそうにないなEven the next Monday-9 drama is based on a manga with Jun Matsumoto playing the lead.
It feels that Japan can't run away from Jani, AKB, Takei, and Gouriki anymore.
- 実写化するならせめて映像は漫画を超えるクオリティでやってもらいたい当たり前だけどIf they're turning things into live action then of course, I'd want them to make things at a high quality that would far exceed the original.
I think this is more about "sense" than money.
Buy Japanese Movies on video from CDJapan
Buy Japanese Movies on video from YESASIA