8 years has passed since she played the lead in TBS' Taiyou no Uta. And following her divorce at the end of last year, it seems that "Erika-sama" has officially marked her return on local TV.
Her "betsu ni" comment at the press conference for her movie in September of 2007 made headlines for the wrong reasons. She then struggled with the divorce procedures from her husband "Hyper Media Creator" Tsuyoshi Takashiro (49), and also pulled out of the PR activities for her 2012 movie Helter Skelter due to her physical condition. Sawajiri didn't have a lot of good things going on for her, and her only leading role in a serial drama during this time was for a short series on BeeTV's online broadcast from February to April of 2012.
The drama First Class tells the story of "mounting women" or women who imply that they are better than others through various gestures and actions. The story is set in the editorial department of a women's fashion magazine. Chinami Yoshinari (Sawajiri), who was working at a textile and clothing shop, was able to realize her dream as she managed to get into the editing department, but was made to start off doing chores and errands. Chinami works her way up against the other personnel until she becomes the editor of the department.
Sawajiri comments: "There's fierce competition among women, and I'm playing the role of a character who keeps winning despite all the troubles she has to go through. I am hoping that this will become a 'song of hope' to all the women out there. Please look forward to it.". A Fuji TV staff also comments: "You'll be able to see a lot of sides to Sawajiri-san here, from being all in tatters after all the attacks thrown at her, to standing up despite all the opposition and beating her opponents.".
Her boyfriend will be played by KAT-TUN's Yuichi Nakamaru (30), while her "opponents" will be the model, played by Nozomi Sasaki (26), the editor, played by Nanao (25), the assistant editor, played by Rieko Miura (40), and the editor-in-chief, played by Yuka Itaya (38).
She really is cute so I want her to do her best
- ライバル役が佐々木希でガッカリ・・・ちゃんと芝居できる人を使おうよ・・・I'm disappointed that Nozomi Sasaki has been cast as her rival...
Let's cast people who can actually act, okay?...
I can't believe she can come back after all the trouble that she's caused
- 今の時代に１０代のエリカ様だったら大人気だったろうな見た目本当よかったのに性格で叩かれて残念だったIf Erika-sama was still in her teens now in this era, her popularity would've been through the roof.
She really looked nice, and it was such a shame that people criticized her personality.
I'm desperately gonna watch this so do your best!
Rip-off of Ugly Betty and Devil Wears Prada?
She really was cute in 1 Litre of Tears
So Erika-sama gets to play the lead in a late night drama, huh...
- フジの死に枠か次は日テレの木曜深夜かテレ東の金曜深夜かなFuji TV's timeslot of death, huh.
Then that means she'll probably get NTV's late night Thursday or TV Tokyo's late night Friday slots next.
- ディレクターとかと寝てるのか？誰が今更こいつ見たいんだよ。起用するのは局の自殺行為だろIs she sleeping with a director or something?
Who the heck would want to watch her now?
The TV station must be suicidal for casting her.
- 楽しみなのは番宣でいろんなバラエティ出ることだなホンマでっかあたり出るかな さんまが沢尻出したいって言ってたからなI'm actually looking forward to seeing her in the different variety shows for promotion.
I wonder if they'll go on Honma Dekka? Sanma did say that he wanted to guest Sawajiri.
- フジはまともなドラマ作れないから、話題性狙いしかないなてか、沢尻とか劣化酷いしとっくに終わってるけどFuji TV can't make dramas properly so they're only after the buzz that it will make.
But Sawajiri's heavily deteriorated, and she's been finished for a long time now.
Don't make a drama that revolves around Erika Sawajiri's character
She should appear in noontime soaps
- 土曜後１１・１０深夜枠か・・Saturday 11:10
Late night, huh...
I've never set my channel to shi+ty Fuji now for over 35 months (o・v・o)
- タバコやめてくれないかな。もう27歳になるんだね。相手役カツンの中丸とか物足りないわ。Won't she stop smoking?
She'll be turning 27 soon, right?
And only having someone like Nakamaru as her partner leaves a lot to be desired.
Japanese people can't emit that fashionable type of aura in dramas like this.
- 「別に」程度のコメントで、才能ある若い女優を何年も干す異常性The absurdity of freezing out this young actress who had a lot of potential just because she said something like "Betsu ni"
Just what you'd expect from Fuji
She really was an angel in 1 Litre
She should be doing more suspense or deep dramas which appeal to adults instead of stupid things like this. She'll just get bashed further the more she does things like this.
I did think that either Fuji or TBS were the types who'd try to lay their hands on peculiar things. So it's Fuji who went after her, huh. And since they cast her, they should've put her in the Monday-9 drama slot instead.
- 短めのドラマ帯だから連ドラのリハビリにいいんだろうね。1クールで底辺から編集長になれるなんてどんなストーリーだろ。It's just in a time slot where episodes are short, so this will be good for her serial drama rehabilitation process.
I wonder what kind of story this is if she can become editor-in-chief from scratch, within just one season.
- 口は災いの元本当にそれが残念な人後悔しかしてないと思うThe mouth is the root of one's problems.
That was really what was so disappointing about her.
I think that she's got nothing but regrets.
- Whatever anyone says, she really has an air of glamour about her.
Shop for Erika Sawajiri-related items on CDJapan
Shop for Erika Sawajiri-related items on YESASIA