SEKAI NO OWARI means "the end of the world", and at first glance, may even seem like a song title. People may have felt uncomfortable with the name at first, but as they grew in popularity, their name has been abbreviated into SEKAOWA, and all the awkwardness has disappeared. And there seems to be an increase in the number of bands which have names that may seem like song names at first glance.
3-piece rock band "Wasureranneyo", girl band "Akai Kouen", up and coming "Gesu no kiwami otome.", artistic punk band "Soredemo sekai ga tsuzuku nara", 6-piece band "Shippai shinai ikikata". There are also "Sayonara ponytail", "Sayonara, mata kondo ne", "Tesla wa nakanai", and "Mori wa ikiteiru". It does seem that a lot of new artists aren't confining themselves now to traditional band names like "The _____" or "~~~s", "~~~ts".
- スピッツ チェリーこのときもどっちが曲名かわかんねえよと言われていたSPITZ Cherry
People also said at this time that they didn't know which one was the song name
- 赤痢 ってバンドもあったな
There used to be a band with the name "Sekiri" (dysentery)
It's also funny when you've got a weird band name but not a distinct musical style
The band Wasureranneyo has a song titled "Wasureranneyo" after all
"Wasureranne darou na" (That must be really unforgettable).
As a dark past for them.
- そう言えば80年代に比べ英語表記のバンドって減ったなｗ歌詞は日本語で歌ってるのにかっこつけてバンド名は英語って外国人から見ればかなりダサいらしいから正しい判断だわｗCome to think of it, the number of bands who use English words for their names have decreased compared to the 80's w
To think that these bands sing in Japanese, they try to look cool and make their band name English?
I heard that foreigners find that lame, so bands nowadays are making the right choice w
Won't there be someone who'll do some revolutionary kind of music? Or do the record companies hate that kind of stuff? Everything from the year 2000 onwards just sounds like rehashes of music from the '90s. And this is why these charts now are dominated with Akekasu and Janis.
- ゲスの極み乙女。つべで聴いたらナヨ声のヴォーカルと安っぽいフュージョンみたいな演奏でどこがプログレやねんネタか？Gesu no kiwami otome.
I tried listening to them on YouTube, but I couldn't see how they're called progressive with those weak vocals and cheap fusion-style of playing. Gimmicks?
I think that there are also some bands with light novel-like names which we're just not aware of.
- Frankie Goes To Hollywood は衝撃だったな歌も
Frankie Goes To Hollywood was shocking. Their songs, too.
- セカオワだけはまじでいいな歌詞がまるで詩を読んでるかのように思えるこいつらがこれからの時代を引っ張ってくだろうなSEKAOWA's seriously good.
The lyrics sound as if it's a poem that's being read out.
I believe that these guys will be spearheading the new generation.
- そうそう最近名前勝負なのかキラキラネームみたいな変わった名前のバンド沢山あんのなThat's true.
There really are a lot of bands now with "sparkly" eccentric names, it feels like they're competing with one another just with their names.
It's just that these weird-named bands are standing out now, but there have always been a lot of bands with weird names since forever
- BOOWYの真ん中はファイ"φ"でいいんかね？だとしたら読みはボファィウィーじゃないのかThe middle character in BOOWY is Phi "φ", right?
So do you read it as BOPHIWY?
Uchikubi Gokumon Doukoukai, Kyuusonekokami
- すべてゆらゆら帝国以降この流れは70年代～80年代のアングラに見られた形Everything is post Yurayura Teikoku
This trend was also seen in the underground movement back in the '70s~'80s
- キラキラネームみたいなもんでしょIt's just like the kirakira names*, right?
* (literally "sparkly names" --- weird and DQN-like names)
But it's normal for Japanese people to use Japanese words
- 最初っから｢えっ!?｣って思われる事を狙って名前をつけてるんだろうに。あと｢自分達は普通とはちょっと違う｣っていうのをアピールしたい自己顕示欲っていうか。一種の流行りみたいなもんじゃないの？別に最近の若者の意識の変化とかいう大げさなもんでもない気がするが。These bands are of course aiming for that surprise factor when naming themselves.
And they also want to show that they're slightly different from the norm.
It's just what you call "asserting yourself".
Isn't this just a form of fad? I don't think that there's a huge change with the thought process of kids nowadays, and that people should be making a fuss about it.
- 赤い公園は普通だろ青い三角定規とかかぐや姫とか五つの赤い風船とかフォークからの伝統やんAkai Kouen (red park) is a pretty normal name.
It's been a tradition from Aoi sankaku jougi, Kaguya hime, Itsutsu no akai fuusen, fork, etc.
"Akai kouen" sounds like a song from the '70s and it sounds cool www
- 赤い公園という名前に何か政治的なものを感じたのは、赤い旅団のイメージがあったからかI felt something political about the name "Akai kouen", probably because of the the Akai Ryodan (Le Brigate Rosse)
People won't mind it too much unless you're like Yurayura Teikoku where even the members have pretty distinct
- ニコ厨の延長って感じだな。ボカロと同レベルの安っぽさｗFeels like an extension of the Nico-chus.
Its cheapness is on the same level as vocaloids.
- そもそもそんなに日本を愛してるならロックじゃ無くて雅楽でもやればいんじゃね雅楽も中国からの渡来品だけどIf you love Japan that much, then don't play rock, play gagaku instead.
But gagaku in itself came from China...
- THE YELLOW MONKEYは バンド名初めて見た時、コレ大丈夫なのかと思ったわ。
The first time I saw the band name "THE YELLOW MONKEY", I thought, "Damn, will these boys be alright?".
Download Japanese music on iTunes