--There seems to be a lot of bands who are doing well in both their concert ticket and merchandise sales.
Yes, merchandise and concert ticket sales are doing well. Most especially for touring bands, merchandise sales really is their life line. People will keep attending concerts as long as these bands stay cool. Why? Because you may be able to create copies of CDs and books, but you can never copy experience.
And that is why these bands can still earn a living through their concert sales even if their CDs don't sell well. But whatever the case, these bands will still need a manager, for example, a person who could negotiate with the concert venues how much they will be able to earn per concert.
But just doing concerts aimlessly won't bring in the profits. These bands should look at things on a long-term perspective, make use of various connections, and only then will they be able to earn a living from touring. But it has become increasingly difficult to achieve such dreams of being a musician, and to once again achieve the glory that the Hi-Standard achieved back in the '90s. This is truly mortifying as a musician, and I also feel a bit sorry for the bands now since we were able to have a taste of the good life when the times were still in the music industry's favor.
--You feel sorry?
There are times that I feel bad when I see stuff like Yamaguchi-kun of Sakanaction's tweets. I'm sure that this band could have sold a million records, or 2 even, if they were just around 10 years earlier. I also feel this way for the CD shops that are so desperate now. I'm sure that there were a lot of shops back in the late '90s which earned money when they sold our CDs, and other artists' CDs. This is also true for the other retail stores. I feel bad, since they're all going up against this goliath called Amazon... How are you planning on going up against that?
Entire interview here:
- ハイスタの奴かクレイジーケンバンドの横山剣かと思ってびっくりしたわOh, the one in Hi-Standard.
I thought it was Ken Yokoyama of the Crazy Ken Band.
- >>31読むまで、クレイジーケンバンドの方だと思ってた。ハイスタンダードって何百万枚も売れた曲あんの？CDが凄く売れた時期でも、オリコンに乗った事ないだろ。I also thought it was the guy from Crazy Ken Band until I read >>31.
Does Hi-Standard have a song that was able to sell over a million copies?
They weren't even on the Oricon charts when CDs were still selling like crazy, right?
- いや200万は無理だろNah, 2 million would've been impossible
- 100万も微妙だろThey probably won't even be able to sell a million back then
- サカナクションはツイッターでどんな悲しいことを呟いてんだよおかずが一品増えたとかかHow sad were Sakanaction's tweets?
Like "Today, I got to eat a spoonful more than what I ate yesterday" ?
- １０年早かったらあんな音楽やってないでしょしたがって売れてないBut they probably wouldn't be doing that kind of music 10 years ago.
Therefore, they couldn't have sold a lot.
- おじいちゃんにお薬出しておいてCan someone please give this old guy his medicine?
- 200万ってスピッツクラスでも無理なのに2 million? Even someone on the level of SPITZ wasn't able to achieve that.
- そりゃ糞みたいな一発屋が売れてた時代もあるんだから売れてたかもはしれんがなWell, a lot of one-hit-wonders did sell well back in those days.
True, they could've produced mega sellers back then.
- 宇多田光が最後で最高の勝ち逃げ組。Hikaru Utada was the last, and the best to come from that era.
- CDが売れなくなったのはアマゾンが、ネットが、より前だよねCD sales started dropping before people can even complain about Amazon and the Internet, right?
- 10年前に似たような音楽をやってたスーパーカーはもっと売れてなかったじゃないかwBut what about Supercar who played the same kind of music 10 years ago? They were even less popular, right?
- 篠原ともえが全盛のときyoutubeとかあったら世界的バカ売れしてたかもなって思うことはある。There are times when I would think that Tomoe Shinohara could have sold an insane amount of records internationally if YouTube already existed during her peak.
- 文句はyoutubeに言えDirect your complaints at YouTube
- ムーンチャイルドみたいな一発屋にはなれたかもなこの手のバンドは90年代も腐る程あったしThey probably could have become a one-hit-wonder like MOON CHILD back then.
These kinds of bands were rampant back in the '90s anyway.
- バブル時代なら自分も大手企業に就職できたと思い込んでるゆとりと同じ思考だろThat's the same way of thinking as these people from the yutori generation, saying that even they could have joined a major company if they lived in the bubble era
- そもそも過去が異様だったんだよ今が並だろ歌歌ってるだけで生きていけるだけでもありがたく思えやカスIt's just that the past was abnormal.
These times right now are normal.
This dirtbag should be grateful that he's earning a living just by singing songs.
- 200万とかwww100も無理だろ2 million? www
Even a million would have been impossible.
- 逆に90年代だったらこういうバンドって埋れてもっと売れなかったんじゃねwActually, I think this sort of band wouldn't have stood out if they were in the '90s and would've probably sold less than they do now.
- > サカナクションの山口くんのツイートとか、見てて辛くなる時があるもん。ごく普通のツイートだと思うがどの辺が辛いんだろうか 食生活？山口 一郎 @SAKANAICHIRO 9月16日制作の隙間、暗い部屋で一人レトルトの麻婆丼を食べていたら、不意に強烈な虚しさに襲われた。毎日同じ景色、同じ悩み、同じ行動。ちょっと疲れてきたかも。山口 一郎 @SAKANAICHIRO 8月25日今日のレコーディングは、うねってた。最終的に前へ進めて安心したから、コンビニ弁当プラス納豆で晩御飯。ただいま
I think these are pretty normal tweets. What's so painful about this? His food?
Ichiro Yamaguchi SAKANAICHIRO Sept. 16
As I was taking a break from production eating this processed Mapo tofu-don alone in a dark room, I was suddenly attacked by a strong feeling of emptiness. It's the same sights, same problems and same actions each and every single day. I think I'm getting a bit tired.
Ichiro Yamaguchi SAKANAICHIRO Aug. 25
We were able to make a surge with today's recording. I feel relieved since we were eventually able to advance so I'm helping myself to a convenience store obento plus natto beans. I'm home.
- 初期の作品とかいい曲あるし、間違ってはいないと思う90年代よりレベル高いよThey did have good songs at the beginning so I think Ken here is correct.
Their level is much higher than those in the '90s.
- 昔は一発当てれば旧作も売れてすぐ何十万と行ったんだけどねだからレコード会社も長い目で面倒見てたBut back in the day, once you register a hit, it will also help boost the sales of your older albums and would eventually boost the sales by a few hundred thousand. And that's why even the record companies were patient with these bands.
- サカナクションって、なんかYMOから進歩してない感じ。あまり音楽の歴史上、意味が無いというか。I don't think that Sakanaction has made any progress from YMO (Yellow Magic Orchestra).
In a sense, it doesn't hold any meaning in musical history.
- バンプが10年、いや5年早ければミスチルクラスだっただろうけどなBump would have probably reached Mr. Children's level if they came out 10, no, 5 years earlier.
- でもチャンスは増えたんじゃないYouTubeで歌あげて上手ければプロになれるじゃん海外とかだとBut people are given more opportunities now.
They get their song on YouTube, and if they're good, they can become pros.
- 昔はショボい音楽でもミリオン達成してたからなサカナクションはもっと早く出てきたらトップになれたわEven those lame-a$$ songs sold millions back in the day.
Sakanaction could have reached the top if they just came out a bit earlier.
- 10年前って2003年だろうもうそんなにバカ売れする時代じゃなくねまあ95～97年あたりにいたら可能性はあったかもしれんが10 years ago... that was 2003.
But that wasn't a time when CDs were flying off shelves anymore.
It would have probably been possible if it was from 1995~1997.
- このバンド１度も聴いたことは無いがおそらく言ってる事は正しいユニコーンや、BUCK-TICKだって売れたんだからそれに倣えばミリオン出しても不思議は無いI have never heard this band even once, but I think what's said about them was true.
If you think that even bands like Unicorn and BUCK-TICK did well, then it won't be a surprise if they sold over a million.
- むしろなぜ10年前は阿呆みたいなのでも100万、200万枚も売れてたのかActually, the question here is why even some of those stupid ones were able to sell millions 10 years ago.
- 10年前で一番売れたのは世界に一つだけの花の200万枚かサカナクションはそんな売れる訳がないわなアンセム系の曲出してるバンドじゃないのにThe song that sold the most 10 years ago was Sekai ni hitotsu dake no hana's 2 million.
There's no way Sakanaction would sell that much. It's not like they're a band who releases anthemic songs.
- サカナは正直どうかなと思うけどワンオクはポルノくらいは売れてただろI honestly wonder about how Sakana would have done, but ONE OK would have probably sold as much as Porno Graffitti
- 海外では今はどうなの？海外もあんまり売れなくなったの？音楽。Then what about overseas? Isn't music selling that much overseas as well?
- せいぜい１０万だろThey'd probably only sell 100,000
- ねーよｗいきものがかりとかはそうかもしれんけどNo way w
But that might be the case with Ikimonogakari.
- 90年代の売れ方がオカシイだけで今のような売れ方が本来のCDの売れ方。It's just that CD sales were crazy in the '90s.
The sales these days are much more normal.
- それじゃあサカナクションの良曲を聴きましょうWell then, let's listen to a good song from Sakanaction
- こんな奴が２００万なら電気グループは３００万売れただろIf these guys can sell 2 million, then Denki Groove would sell 3 million
- サカナクションは売れても30万ぐらいだろうBut Sakanaction would only sell about 300,000 even if they do manage to make it big
- まあ冷静に考えて今時バンドサウンドなんて流行らないよな売れようなんて思って始めないだろ？いいじゃん好きでやってるならWell, if you think about it calmly, the "band sound" won't be a hit these days. They themselves probably don't think that they're going to sell bucketloads when they decided to pursue this. Just let them do what they want.
- おまえらよりは、横山健の言ってることのの方が信頼できるわBut I'd rather believe what Ken Yokoyama says than what you guys would
Shop for Sakanaction-related items on CDJapan
Shop for Sakanaction-related items on YESASIA
Shop the Sakanaction store on AMAZON